Monday 24 February 2014

Wynn Bullock

"As long as I can remember, I have been filled with a deep desire to find a means of creatively interacting with the world, of understanding more of what is within and around me. It was not until I was 40, however, that I decided photography was my best way. When I photograph, what I'm really doing is seeking answers to things" - Wynn Bullock
Wynn Bullock, Let There Be Light, 1954
This is one of two images which sparked Bullock's worldwide recognition in 1955, as it was chosen to be included into the famous "Family of Man" exhibition at the Museum of Modern Art in New York. It is a beautiful depiction of light and the beauty of nature and its patterns, these are elements often found in Bullock's photography. Bullock occasionally referred to some his photographs as "seed photographs" by which he was describing images that he had taken as single defined objects, which later on came to be his influence for a whole project or body of work. This image is perhaps an example of his "seed" photography which has not only influenced him, but also later photographers, as now this type of photograph of a beach would be considered 'generic' due to the mass of images that are similar.
Wynn Bullock, Old Typewriter, 1951
Personally, I feel that this image is fairly straight forward reference to the cycle of life and death, but possibly even more importantly, the process of time. Generally typewriters are made of particular materials, such as metal, which are considered strong and therefore one would assume that they would have a long 'life'. Here however we are shown the common object slowly being broken down, reverting back into nature. Whilst it does not contain any of the typical conventions of vanitas art, I cant help but feel that it was at least influenced by such work.

Wynn Bullock , Cactus, 1958
I felt that I would include this image as I find the background information to it rather funny. Bullock submitted this photograph to a major exhibition of the theme of 'love'. I thought this was a really interesting photographic perspective of 'love'. To me a cactus is fairly elegant and has a sense of implied strength, its also one of the least dependant of external factors, but most importantly, its got one very sharp sting.








No comments:

Post a Comment